9 Best Espresso Machines Under 200 Reviews, Tips & Guides
Are you looking for the Best Espresso Machines Under 200, if yes, this article will support you to understand in a better way?
Coffee makers are populating kitchens with increasing numbers. And we understand it! From the traditional relatively basic coffee machine, models, systems and technologies have followed one another to today lead to the very best, ultra-versatile devices capable of preparing all kinds of coffee, of being programmed, of offering options for personalizing coffee…
In short, ultra-complete devices! Today we are looking at the best espresso makers, the comparison of which you can find below. It should be noted that although the models are stamped as espresso, they are often capable of much more in terms of functionality.
Top 9 Best Espresso Machines Under 200 Reviews
Several technical criteria, which you can find in the buying guide in detail, allowed us to find a basis of comparison for the various espresso coffee machines. We were then able to establish ranges and find the best quality-price ratios, this in order to find models corresponding to everyone’s needs and budgets. Finally, we have used customer reviews in order to obtain a complete and objective opinion on the best espresso makers.
1. Krups YY4081FD
While some consumers find the price relatively high, most agree that they get what they pay for. The performance is clearly unmatched by the lower ranges, which makes this device, in the eyes of users, perfectly deserving of its title of “professional quality”.
- Preparation of many professional quality drinks: cappuccinos, long coffees, espresso, milk frother, coffee beans …
- Good capacity of the tank (1.7L) and the bean container (260g)
- Very worked design, both in terms of robustness and aesthetics
- Simple and intuitive use thanks to the control panel, also allowing you to memorize profiles
- Does not allow the use of ground coffee, only coffee beans
- A little noisy
2. Philips EP3550 / 00 3100 Series
This machine does so much that some users get confused! Some say that it is preferable to watch one or two configuration tutorials, as for the grinder, before launching yourself into the settings. For the rest, on the other hand, consumers highlight the great variety of functionalities, both from the point of personalization and for the rest.
- Numerous functions: integrated milk frother and up to 5 different drinks including decaf coffee
- Several customization options for the strength of the grinder, 5 levels for the intensity of the aroma, adjustment of the coffee length …
- Easy maintenance and limited descaling thanks to the Aquaclean filter
- Possibility to set your favorite drinks
- The chipper takes a little time to be fully mastered
3. Philips EP2221 / 40
Customers are impressed with the performance of the machine, while recognizing the high standards of Philips manufacturing.
- High-end quality with many customization options and the possibility of serving up to 2 coffees at the same time
- High reliability: Built-in high-quality ceramic grinder makes up to 20,000 cups from beans
- Easy maintenance thanks to removable parts
- A milk frother is integrated to diversify your preparations
- Relatively noisy grinder
4. Delonghi ECAM22.110.B
Many consumers give the highest rating to this device, which enjoys excellent popularity especially as its price has fallen by more than 100 $ since it went on sale.
Both design and practical, this machine is, in the eyes of consumers, the very example that beauty and practicality can combine to form a most successful device. A bit of a shame, some customers note, that the rinse cycle is a little sluggish.
- Allows you to serve 2 cups simultaneously
- Numerous customization options for the strength of the coffee, its length or the heating temperature
- A grinder is integrated for the coffee beans
- Tank with a good capacity of 1.8L
- Despite the compact dimensions, the weight of 9kg can be felt
- The rinsing cycle is triggered at start and stop
5. Krups XP344010 Calvi
It is no surprise that consumers validate this model, giving it, for many of them, the maximum score. And no wonder: it is once again the quality-price ratio that marks the spirits, especially since you enjoy high power and an optimal temperature from the first cup. Not a competition freak, but a great home choice for users.
- Good power of 1460W for 15 bars of pressure
- Preheating takes no more than 40 seconds thanks to the compact Thermoblock and allows you to obtain a first cup at optimum temperature
- Foam effect thanks to the steam nozzle
- Practical facilities: 1 or 2 cups at the same time, storage provided for the filters, possibility of switching to manual mode for more control …
- The filter holder fills a little too quickly, which implies regular maintenance and rinsing
- Plastic construction
6. Klarstein BellaVita Espresso
In the reviews, consumers obviously insist on the value for money of the device, which is certainly the biggest asset. Admittedly, it only allows you to prepare two drinks (espresso or double espresso) and the tank is a bit small, but for the price, it combines manufacturing quality with ease of use, which is a real plus for customers. We validate!
- Available in classic or espresso version, as well as in silver or black
- High power of 1575W for 20 bars of pressure, which is an excellent ratio
- Get the coffee of your dreams at the push of a button with “OneTouch Control”
- Stainless steel construction for maximum strength and extended life
- The water is maintained at an optimum temperature thanks to the Perfect Temperature System
- Low capacity of 0.9L
- The first cup deserves a slightly higher temperature
7. Nespresso Pixie
Consumers appear to be very satisfied with the model’s performance, obviously valuing its functionalities (perhaps a little limited, but at this price…) but above all the quality of the coffee extracted. Remember, of course, to choose quality coffee! In this regard, some consumers find the use of pods harmful, which is not the most ecological.
- Possibility of choosing either manual ignition or automatic ignition
- Durable aluminum construction
- 19 bars of pressure for a rich espresso
- Quick heat-up, not exceeding 25 seconds
- The water tank is relatively small, with a capacity of only 0.7L
- Relatively noisy
8. Delonghi BCO264.1
A small design flaw for the lid of the water tank requires caution when using it, so as not to have sudden movements. But this drawback remains, once we are aware, a minor point compared to the strengths of the device.
We will think, to begin with, of course of its price, but also of its many practical facilities, like the timer, the possibility of choosing the number of cups that can be served or even monitoring the state of the machine and progress via an LCD screen.
- Coffee customization options: aroma (variator), choice of grind for a rich aroma and strong in taste
- Possibility to serve one or two cups simultaneously
- Control via physical keys with summary on an LCD screen
- A digital timer is integrated
- The cover of the water tank suffers from a lack of strength
9. Delonghi EC685.M Dedica Style
For this model to be perfect, we would have liked to have had less maintenance effort to provide, both for the coffee grounds and for the filter holder. However, the machine stands out above all thanks to its excellent quality-price ratio as well as its great versatility, even allowing it to accept paper pods!
- Available in 4 different styles
- Quick start: in just 35 seconds the machine is ready to brew coffee
- Good power of 1300W
- Compactness and build quality
- It is necessary to clean the filter holder regularly to preserve the functioning of the device.
- You often have to go and collect the coffee grounds with a spoon
Espresso machine buying guide: Everything you need to know to buy it!
What are the criteria for buying an espresso maker? To know how to choose an espresso machine in the same way as we did, it is necessary to rely on a certain number of criteria which, in fine, correspond above all to the technical characteristics of the devices.
When faced with each criterion, systematically ask yourself the question of your needs: not everyone needs the very best, so consider the use you plan to have!
1. Power And Pressure
Power is certainly the hallmark of the device. Expressed in Watts, it must be high enough to allow the machine to perform all of its functions.
We will of course think of the basics (preparing the coffee), but also of the additional options of customization or choice of temperature, which will mean a correspondingly high power.
Regarding the pressure, it combines with the power to ensure both the rendering of your coffees and the speed of execution of the device. An indisputable duo!
2. The Personalization Of Coffee And Aroma
True technological contribution of current machines: it is now possible to personalize your coffee to obtain a grind to your taste, to enjoy a light, medium or full-bodied aroma, or to create a foam using a milk frother .
So many customization options that allow you to enjoy a unique coffee with the aroma of your choice!
3. Drinks That Can Be Prepared
In addition to the famous espresso that we love so much, the machines are proving more and more versatile, and are therefore now able to prepare other drinks! Thus, some will accept ground coffee.
Others will go much further, allowing both ground coffee and coffee beans, benefiting from an integrated grinder. If this is the case, remember to find out about the decibels emitted during the operation of the crusher, because the silent crusher is not yet born!
4. Practical Facilities: Handling, Control And Size
The control and handling of the device must be both simple and ergonomic. Most devices will pass through a system of bright LED lights indicating the status of the machine or the coffee preparation process while your actions will be carried out with physical buttons.
Others, more advanced, will integrate an LED screen, even LCD with ultra responsive touch keys on the most advanced models.
In terms of size, we will think about both weight and dimensions. Of course, the model is not intended to be moved regularly, but just think about cleaning! In terms of dimensions, these must correspond to the location where you plan to place the device, such as a worktop for example.
Note that compact formats often represent an excellent compromise between practicality and power.
Finally, since we are talking about size, also remember to find out about the properties of the machine with regard to its resistance, the quality of its coating and the material chosen … In this regard, there is no doubt that stainless steel beats plastic!
5. The Capacity Of The Water Tank
Regarding the water tank, the capacity depends mainly on two factors: the number of people who will use the machine regularly and the water consumption.
For the first factor, consider its use (home or office?) As well as regular diners or employees. This will give you a first idea of the necessary capacity, namely that it is fashionable, even for a single individual, to reach at least the liter.
When it comes to water consumption, it is good to know that some espresso machines consume more water than others (especially when functionality increases), so that a large tub, at least less 1.5L, is welcome.
6. Additional Features
In addition to all the features already reviewed, the machines have other assets to highlight! Typically, the most sophisticated models can be programmed, for example so that the coffee is ready at a certain time (so that the heating is calculated) or even that the rinsing or descaling program starts every X times.
Presentation and advantages of the espresso coffee machine
You surely can imagine that in addition to the best espresso coffee machines that you discovered in the comparison, many other models manage to stand out on the market!
Their secret? Solid technical characteristics, a range of functions, positive consumer opinions and an attractive price. But these models must be spotted, so we give you more information on the selection and purchase process.
As its name suggests, the espresso machine allows you to make… espresso. But that’s far from its only functionality! Indeed, depending on the model, it is possible to prepare other kinds of coffee, for example coffee beans when a grinder is included.
They are also personalization machines, often allowing you to choose the aroma of the coffee or to be programmed. In short, you will taste much more than an espresso with these technological gems!
How to descale an espresso machine? In 5 steps
- For machines with an automatic program, fill the removable tank with vinegar or descaling agent, according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, then top up with water.
- Install a sufficiently dense container under the spout to collect the descaler or vinegar
- Start the descaling program. This will be more or less long depending on the devices, but will not normally require your intervention before the end of the cycle.
- Once the cycle is complete, collect and empty the container, then rinse the tank before replacing it.
- If your machine has a rinsing program, all you have to do is fill the tank with water to the maximum then install a container again, before launching the program and let the machine do its job.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the easiest espresso machine to use?
When you are starting to learn how to make your own espresso, or even if you are a veteran barista, you will find that there are a lot of different things that you have to learn in order to be able to be efficient at the espresso coffee techniques that you need to be able to make consistently excellent espressos. You will find that there are a lot of different gadgets and gizmos and espresso machines that are on the market that claim to make your espresso shots a shot of perfection every time. Some people will swear by them, and some people will tell you right away that they are one of the most difficult espresso machines to use. If you do not want to waste money or time, then you will want to know what is the easiest espresso machines to use? If you are looking for an espresso machine that is easy to use, then you will want to know what espresso machines under 200 dollars that are available. Some of these espresso machines have complicated controls, and you will have to get used to them quickly. Other espresso machines under this price range will have higher quality built in parts and great build quality for their espresso maker. These are espresso machines that are well made and will last you a long time, making it worth your while to spend a little extra on them and see what kind of quality you get in return. The biggest thing to remember when you are looking for an espresso machine is to take your time and find the one that is right for you. If you can afford to spend more money on your espresso machine, then you will want to find one that has a lot of nice features. This is important because it means that you will enjoy the espresso making process and your cup of espresso a lot more than if you just went with a basic machine that did not have all the neat features that you can be happy with. You can use espresso machines under 200 dollars to make a great tasting drink in just about any kitchen, even a small apartment. However, remember that you will still want to know what is the easiest espresso machine to use? By doing a little research, and finding the one that suits your taste and your budget, you should be able to make a great tasting drink quickly and easily at home.
2. Why is pressure important in an espresso machine?
Espresso machines are one of the most expensive kitchen appliances you can buy. This is why pressure is so important. When you use a pressurized pump to make your espresso, you aren’t getting the full volumetric potential of what a stove-top steam mop can do. So how is pressure important in an espresso machine? There are many different models and features, but the three main things I find important are the size, power source, and coffee quality. Size: the smaller units like the mugs don’t typically come with as much power as the larger ones. This is why it’s important to look at the number of cups you typically brew on a regular basis. If you plan to be making more robust espressos, then you definitely want a bigger unit. If you’re only going to be making light drinks, or coffee, then a smaller one should be more than sufficient. When you’re looking at espresso machines under 200 dollars, you want to focus on size to make sure you get one that has all the features you need. Power Source: most espresso machines will use a DC powered motor to grind, spin, and froth into the coffee. You also have to worry about interruptions during the process if the power goes out. Many people simply buy the cheapest option they can find. However, if you’re a dedicated home espresso maker, you’ll want something with a steady power supply that won’t shut down during the most crucial part of your coffee brewing. I would definitely recommend checking out the reviews of the particular model you’re interested in to make sure it’s compatible with your own electrical system, and that it comes with extra safety features built in.
3. What’s the difference between a coffee machine and an espresso machine?
So you want to start making your own coffee at home and you want to know whats the difference between a regular coffee machine and an espresso machine. To be honest, there is no real big difference but there are some things that will affect how much you spend on an espresso machine or a coffee machine. Espresso machines can be a little bit more expensive than other coffee machines because of how sophisticated they are and also because they are more complicated. If you have a budget then you might not be able to afford one of the more sophisticated types of espresso machines but there are many less expensive ones available if you look around. The biggest difference between a regular coffee machine and an espresso machine is the size. An espresso machine is usually quite tiny and it just fits in your kitchen with room to move around. You can fit it in your usual kitchen appliance and you will not notice it is there because it is so small. One of the nice features that most espresso machines offer these days is that they usually come with a grinder so you can grind your own beans which is always worth buying your beans from a reputable company because they will have fresher beans. Another difference between the two machines is the time it takes to prepare one. An espresso machine is designed for when you have a few seconds left over in the maker to prepare a hot drink. As opposed to a coffee machine, which is designed to make a full pot of coffee in only a few minutes. When deciding which one to buy you will need to consider the amount of time you have in your day to make a coffee. If you only have a few minutes during the day and want a quick cup then an espresso machine will probably be the best choice for you but if you have more time and want to try a variety then you may want to go for the coffee machine.
4. What price and what budget for an espresso machine?
You were able to discover it quite easily in our comparison: according to the ranges of machines, the price can vary from single to double, to triple, to quadruple … It can reasonably be considered that high prices mean higher ranges.
However, be careful of what may risk becoming a shortcut. An expensive product does not necessarily mean a quality product, and even if it is quality, it does not necessarily mean that its features are worth the price displayed. This is called value for money, in other words, you have to get what you pay for!
For this, you can, like us, take an interest in consumer reviews, but also call on the most recognized brands, such as Delonghi, Philips, Krups, Klarstein or even Nespresso, all manufacturers renowned for their know-how. undeniable.
You can now consider your needs. To do this, simply write down the features that you consider essential and those that you consider optional. Then find products that cover all the crucial features and a few models that also cover one or two options that you attach importance to. You will then see as many prices appear, which will form the famous “ranges”.
From there, all you have to do is sort it out, thinking about finding a compromise between your needs and your desires, on the one hand, and your budget, on the other. As an indication, coffee machines under 100 $ are really the entry level: if you want more features, stability and robustness as well as customization options, you should count on at least 150 $.
I recommend getting a good quality burr grinder. Although you can buy a cheaper one from a department store or discount superstore, I wouldn’t go for this option if you don’t have a grinder of adequate quality. A burr grinder will allow you to grind beans to your desired consistency, including light and dark ground. To achieve a perfect espresso, the grounds must be ground very fine. The most common type of grinder is the semi-automatic grinders, but if you’re looking for a true coffee machine with tons of power, you should look into one of the grinders made for espresso.