Products recommended in the post contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through our posts, we may receive a commission at no extra charge to you. See our full disclosures here.
How to Use Propane Grillbest propane grill and various propane smoker please have a look for your reference
Direct heat vs. indirect heat on a propane grillThe possibility to operate the heat directly and indirectly is also one of the main reason that make this gadget become handy and well-known. You would be benefit with the ability of fast and hot cooking from direct method, even for thin cut meats, quick –cooking vegetables and shrimps whilst indirect heat provide you the chance to grill a whole chickens, large roasts and even bread baking. Just like baking with the oven, you just simply need to turn off the burners which lie directly under your food but keep the surrounding one on and the lid of grill closed. It is obviously that with the indirect heat method, being patient is necessary during cooking times as it would take longer period of time to cook the food with lower temperature. But with correct method, praise from family and friends would surely be awaited.
Quick tips for grilling meat safelyOne of the greatest benefit of propane grill cooking method is the ability to reduce greatly the amount of exposure carcinogens which will drop down during cooking process. On different side of the fact, charcoal grills method would bring more smoke and higher heat while cooking, leading to toxin formation, which is one of the main reason of cancers. Below are some tips for ensuring the meat grilling safety.
- Instead of using charcoal for grill meat, a propane method is well recommended
- Fat need to be cut off before being grilled
- your meat has to be marinated in rosemary (as being shown in many researches, rosemary is significantly used to reduces toxins; food immersed with garlic, onion and lemon juice are well favored as well)
- The meat has to be frequently flipped while cooking.
The secret of searingBeing deeply in love with the perfect grilled flavor strip steaks which you are tossing on the grill? Let’s start with seared meat. Raising the heat to high and ensure that you are putting the meat on a well heated grill. Let it there for one minute and make a flip before lower the heat. The surface on the meat would be caramelized due to the high heat grill, provide you a well grilled crispy and flavorful surface. This method also works for lamb and pork.
Maintenance and grill safetyHaving your grill maintained regularly would prolong its working life as well as working quality. After cooking, you should cleaning the grill well with a full inspection inside out. The burners are also important to be checked up to ensure all of the ports (where the flames come out) are always kept to be cleared. Once the ports are blocked, a thin wire or pipe is necessary to push away all of the obstruction. One of the most reason for uneven heat comes from clogged ports, which could be the main reason for fail burners. If you want to make sure the grill lights properly with a good spark, the igniters would be what you need to check.
Tips to enjoy safe outdoor cooking with your propane grill
- After any usage, the grill need to be cleaned to make sure there is no flare-ups while cooking. It is believed that leftover grease which is stuck on the grill takes 20 percent which is also the highest reason for a flare-ups in cooking duration.
- In your barbecue party, the grill need to be kept outdoor and at least five feet away from the house. The level surface would keep your gadget clear, overhead trees or prevent any possible fire-related danger.
- As it is best used outdoor, NEVER keep it inside! Not only for fire hazard possibility but carbon monoxide – a smell-free but possible deadly gas releases while cooking as well, which could spread over your home.
- Hoses check up pre-cooking for kinks, cracks or damage is always necessary.
- While cooking, remember to have a fire extinguisher nearby and well-alert to everybody as you need to be well-prepared for any situation.
- Remember to keep the grill in sight during cooking times. According to the National Fire Protection Association, 46% reason of fire-related case among residence injuries is accounted for neglected grills, which also higher than any other factor
- During grilling time, children and pets must be kept at least three feet away for their own safety.
- The propane grill cover must surely be open until you lit the grill.
- After cooking, make sure the burner controls need to be off and the cylinder valve is closed.
Dealing with flare-upsThe problem of dripping fats and oils that cause flare-ups are just temporary. In order to solve this problem, you need to keep a portion of empty grill so you could move the food when the flare-up occur. When the flare-up show up, take the food away and leave it burn off with the lid up grill. If there is a spread fire, take all of the food down and leave the fire do its task. The grease would be burned off as quick as possible. In the case that your fire was out of control, remember to take all the food away and turn off the burners and the gas as well. The lid in this situation must be kept open so the fire could die down itself.
How to fill if a propane tank is running lowNotice the refilling time or exchange the propane cylinder could cause you a lot of problem as the almost 20-pound tank – might be the most common dimension for BBQ grills – is not included with the gauge. Below are possible way for doing it:
- Available external gauges for your propane cylinder could be found at most home advance stores or even online. Possible solutions are from analog, digital and inline pressure gauges.
- Usually you could find two numbers stamped on the handle of your propane cylinder. One is “WC” – for water capacity and “TR” – for tare weight (the one shown when the cylinder is empty). Measure the weight of the tank and write it down. Then subtract the TR number. The sum could be the amount of propane pounds left.
- A small bucket should be fill with warm to hot water from the top. Then, pour it down the side of propane cylinder. Quickly glide your hand along that side to feel the cool spot of the tank. That spot is your propane cylinder fill level. The propane liquid inside the cylinder would absorbs the temperature from hot water, giving the cool feeling when you touch the metal of the cylinder.
Safety tips for portable cylindersFor dealing with handy propane cylinders, safe practices mentioned below are recommended. Please read this carefully to help you know how to use propane grill safely
- The propane cylinder should be kept or store outdoor and in an open space but not in basement, garage, shed or tent.
- Always keep in mind the company for your cylinder. Do not leave it near a stove, fireplace or any heat source and the spare cylinder should not be placed under or near your BBQ grill as well.
- Stay caution as you are dealing with the cylinders. Do not leave any smoke near it. And make sure there is no ignition source contact with your cylinder, including flames or spark-production electrical gadgets.