Products recommended in the post contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through our posts, we may receive a commission at no extra charge to you. See our full disclosures here.
It is undeniable that burgers
are typical food for every grill parties or picnics. In every places, people have distinctive ways of making decent burgers which brings special tastes. However, how to grill a burger
with the fully cooked inside is actually a big question. Today’s post will give you guide to grill burgers on gas grill with the best-ever recipe and technique.
- 2 lbs of ground beef (preferably an 80/20 mix, 80% lean meat and 20% fat)
- 3 tbsp of evaporated milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- ¾ cup of dry bread crumbs
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ tsp of cayenne pepper (or more if you’re fond of spicy food)
- Burger buns
- Large bowl
- Mixing spatula
- Cooking oil (olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.)
- Gas grill or any type of grill
- A pair of tongs or a grill spatula
The first thing you need to prepare is the patties. You’d better prepare hamburgers in order to remain the juiciness and control the taste of it, but if you don’t have much time, you can also buy frozen hamburgers from the supermarket.
Are you ready to hit the grill? Let’s follow our best grilled burger recipe with the super duper easy steps below:
Put the ground beef into the fridge for a few hours until it get frozen. This step is essential because it helps to keep the fat unbroken in the meat which will make the burgers juicy.
Mix all the patty ingredients prepared before in a large bowl to ensure everything mixed well so that each patty will have the same parts of each ingredient. In this stage, remember to keep the meat cold.
Constantly sprinkling the ingredients is the best way to mix quickly.
Pinch a small piece of your beef, spread it on your palm, then turn your palm upside down to test if the beef is completely mixed and avoid over-mixing the ingredients. Once you feel that the meat is sticky, it’s time to start grilling.
Make the patties shaped into flat and circular pieces as fast as possible. If you need to serve a group of 8 people, the 2 pounds of beef is enough. Immersing your hands in cold water before forming the patties is the best tip because the temperature of your body will lead to melting the fat and separating from the lean meat. This will cause your burgers dried.
1-inch thick on the side and 1-inch larger than the hamburger bun is the best size for each patty. Forming it like a salad plate with rasied sides will help your burgers look more attractive.
How to keep the beef stays cold and moisturized when the weather is boiling hot? The way of putting an ice cube into the middle of the patty and keeping the meat with it can help you to solve this issue.
Optional burger glaze
Applying an optional glaze before the patties become totally cooked is a key if you want to keep your burgers juicy and flavorful.
Simmer the mixture of Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper for 20 minutes.
If you don’t want your burgers juiceless, remember not to apply the hamburger glaze too early to avoid burning it and create a cakey layer on your burgers.
Steps for the best way for How to Grill a Burger
Follow these tips mentioned below to grill the best hamburgers and find out the best way to know how to grill a burger
, not only juicy but healthy:
- Put the patties with a small gaps from each one on the the warm and oiled grill. Remember not to press the patties because this will cause the lacking of moisture and fat.
- Keep the lid of the grill (if there’s any) closed and not open it till the next phase while the burgers are searing.
- Take a quick turn to grill the other side after 4 or 5 minutes of grilling the first side. Remind yourself not to press the patty.
- In this step, if the patties still do not turn golden brown, you need to re-flip it or cook longer (in case it is a thicker one).
- The suitable time to apply the optional burger glaze is in a couple of minutes before the patty is cooked completely. If you are a cheese lover, at the last minute before taking the patties away from the grill, do not forget to add slices of cheese.
- Next, baking burger buns on the grill because this is the last stage of grilling the patties. We highly recommend you to butter your burger buns to make your every bite smoother.
- Everything seems to be done now. Turn all the knobs to the off position and put the burgers into the buns. To make your burgers more attractive and healthy, you should add tomato slices, lettuce, and your favorite fillings.
- Now, wait for a minute to let the burgers rest a bit. This will help the patties to be readjusted entirely with the juices which is the most important element to evaluate if your grilled burger is perfect. Otherwise, the juices will not distribute equally to each part of the burger (the juices will be only in the middle of a burger, this make the middle too wet, and other parts too dry and less delicious) if you eat it immediately.
You can still use the same steps as above to achieve the best burgers on other types of grill such as propane or electric one.
How long should your grill?
This is a commonly asked question. To answer this question, you need to ask yourself how done you want your hamburgers to be. The following information which is from our burger tempt chart, shows you a rough estimate.
Grill both sides of the hamburgers in 4 minutes totally with an internal temperature of 125F
Grill the burgers in 5 minutes totally with an temperature of 135F
Grill the burgers in 6 to 7 minutes totally with an internal temperature of 145F
Grill the burgers in 8 to 9 minutes totally with an internal temperature of 160F.
According to the strict advice of the USDA, to kill all the bacteria of the ground meat, it must be cooked at an internal temperature of 160F. Regardless of this rule, it definitely depends on your expected doneness. The only thing to be concerned that if the meat is fresh and prepared in a proper way.
Also, the thickness of frozen burgers and your grill’s heating setting decide the duration of grilling. Mostly, it need to be grilled for 5 minutes for each side. Take note that your burgers will be burned on the outside and still be red on the inside unless you let it melted on a warming rack first.
There is still another option for you to skip the step of making your frozen burgers become limber is to grill it immediately at a lower heating mode and flip frequently the burgers every 3 minutes till the desired doneness. You should use meat probes here to check the exact internal temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I reheat burgers on the grill?
A: To use the leftover hamburgers, you need to wrap it in aluminum paper (ensure that the foil paper covers entirely the buns) and reheat it for five minutes at a temperature of 350F.
Q: How do you store hamburger patties?
A: You’d better keep your raw patties frozen in the fridge if you don’t need to cook a large amount of hamburgers at the same time. This will help to save meat juices and preserve it perfectly. Once the meat has unpleasant smell or strange color, don’t hesitate to throw it into your trash can.
Q: How long do burger patties last?
A: Ground beef patties can be preserved for maximum 1 week if you keep it on the freezer, but if you put it on the fridge, it only lasts for 1 to 2 days. Storing meat for a long time, however, is not a good idea because it is likely to develop bacteria which will harm your health.
Q: What can I use to separate hamburger patties?
A: To separate the burger patties, you can use parchment paper which also help for easier putting it on the grill. Remember that you must preserve it in the fridge or freezer to prevent spoilage and bacteria.
Q: How do you unstick frozen hamburger patties?
A: You can use a butter knife to detach these patties from each other. Slip slowly and carefully the blade into the sticky patties till you can separate it.
Restaurant hope that these steps will help you answer your question: how to grill a burger
. You don’t need to be a master chef or grill master to make the best juicy burgers. Just follow the right methodology with simple ingredients and certain equipments (propane grill, charcoal grill, or gas grill), you will easily become an expert burger griller.
Click here to view more grill products to Grill a Burger:
The Best Charcoal Grill
The Best Smoker Grill Combo
The Best Gas Grills Under 400
The Best Gas Grills Under $500
The Best Gas Grill Under 1000
The Best Propane Smoker
The Best Natural Gas Grills
The Best Flat Top Grill
The Best 2 Burner Gas Grill
The Best Electric Grill
The Best Propane Grill